That's what my poor blog has been!
Oops, over a month and I haven't blogged a word. Hmm.....
School is going well. Truth be told, I am beginning to get a bit burned out on the books. I am ready to get in there and get my hands wet (probably literally LOL)..One more term to complete after this one, and then I'm 'Clinical Bound'. I cannot WAIT...I should probably be careful what I wish for, seeing as how I'm going to have to continue to work at the Clinic part-time (or move into a cardboard box) - and complete my clinical requirements simultaneously. I honestly have no earthly idea how the entire process works, but I'm sure I will be learning in the near future. Do I have to meet a certain number of hours? Or just fulfill my 'numbers'? Can my clinical hours be flexible (God, I hope so!!!)? Will I ever sleep again? One of my bigger fears about becoming a midwife - functioning on little to no sleep. And functioning well.
We traveled to Florida over school vaca last week. What a whirlwind trip! The kids had a blast! I tried to not stress out about school (because I certainly wasn't on break..break? What the hell is a break?!!) - but it was difficult. Who wants to study after being at an amusement park all day long? Not me! As was evidenced by my less-than-stellar performance on my Advanced Antepartum exam..Picture this - day before the exam I had spent the entire day at Universal Studios. I made the mistake of riding the Harry Potter experience - which was basically a motion-sickness-sufferer's worst nightmare...so, I'm feeling hungover the next morning (and it wasn't from an abundance of alcohol)...Wes is gone for a work conference..my sister in law graciously takes my kids down to the pool so that I can take this exam (which I haven't really studied for)...the front desk is harrassing me to check out...and there I sit inside the condo on my laptop taking an exam that is due by 6 pm (we're heading to the airport for a 6:45pm flight - but of course check-out is in the AM)..it was a nightmare..I hit submit and just chanted 'please let me pass, please let me pass'. I guess someone was listening, because I BARELY passed with an 80. Anything below an 80 = epic fail. Literally. Gotta love distance learning.
On that note, I'm out! Hopefully I'll be back sooner than one month from now ;)
hang in there, my dear!! take it from me... it'll get better, and it will get worse ;) (that's how life is, right?!)
ReplyDeleteas far as clinicals, it will depend on your preceptor and your site - for the most part, it IS very flexible. you have to complete 675 hours total and x numbers of all of the different visits (look in that preceptor packet we got waaaaaay back when, if you still have it.... or i can forward it to you if you want it... or maybe you were just asking hypothetically?). some weeks i have done 30-40 hours, other weeks i've barely done 10-20 (around holidays, etc, or when i was working more).
although, if you've heard any of my whimpering about my experience lately - maybe that's been part of the problem... ha! (seriously, though --- no stress. like labor, just go into it with an open mind and go with the flow)
and passing is passing, baby!